Monday, June 24, 2013

BONUS POST: Braves @ Brewers 7/21-23 weekend series

For the last 5 years or so, I've been attending every game the Atlanta Braves play in Milwaukee. So far I'm 2-13 in those games. Meaning, the Braves have won 2 and lost 13. This is not fun. Everything else about going to see the Braves each year is very fun. I remember seeing the outfield of Diaz-McClouth-Franceour. And then Anderson-Schafer-Diaz, Cabrera-Bourn-Heyward and finally the current Upton-Upton-Heyward this weekend. I've seen Chipper Jones, Tim Hudson and Brian McCann several times. I saw Martin Prado drill a 2-strike homerun 3 years ago and Javy Vazquez throw 6 scoreless. I've seen Derek Lowe and Paul Maholm, Cory Gearrin and Johnny Venters. In short, I've been in Braves-heaven. Usually I sit in the nosebleed-400s, but once I had seats right down the left field line (Garret Anderson could hear me I'm sure) and Jenni and I were right by the visiting dugout during Chipper's final series (we were really close for his final Milwaukee at bat, struck out by Kameron Loe). I look forward to the series every year and they're usually good games, despite the Braves' struggles. One year, Chipper launched a 2-run homer into the right field bleachers to tie the game in the 7th or 8th just to see it slip away. Another year, Heyward crushed a 3 run bomb but we were down 5 and couldn't get the last two (Hoffman shut us down). This year was extra special.

My little man was going to his first baseball game(s). Friday we were joined by Marc and Rachel Tanis (Marc is a Yankees fan, grrrr) and we sat in the 428 section. Chipper wasn't so sure about the whole baseball thing at first. As we were going up the escalator the sound system exploded into a rather loud song and little Chipper gave me one pouty look which said "You brought me here to die." and began whimpering. After some soothing hugs and a little mommy time, he recovered and seemed to enjoy the remainder of the game. Which was more than I could say, Wily Peralta was dealing and the Bravos mustered 2 hits en route to a 2-0 shut-out. Huddy took the tough-luck loss while the Brewers got a solo shot from Jean Segura (the dude can play) and a run(s)-saving catch from Aoki.

Game 2 & 3 were just Jenni and I. Saturday Chipper was lovin it. He yelled, gleefully, along with the crowd a few times, got lots of compliments on his sweet sunglasses and took a nap. The Braves however, weren't any better. Hand-Gozelanny-Badenhop-Gonzalez-Axford-Rodriguez combined to shut us out on 4 hits (2 hit games from BJ Upton and Andrelton Simmons). K-Rod notched his 300th save, which he then comically thanked his "family for this award" in the post-game interview. Once again the Brewers got enough offense to beat a team that didn't score and won 3-0.

Sunday was so much better. Unfortunately, I think we're cursed. We were heading out the door in a bit of a rush, kinda typical with a 3 month old, and I managed to forget the tickets. I didn't remember them till we were 20 min from the park, almost an hour along the way. Back we went, guaranteeing we'd miss the first 3 innings. Of course, I turn on the radio and the Braves are in business in the first. Schafer doubles, Simmons singles, Heyward K's, Freeman K's, Upton BB's and McCann launches an opposite field GRAND SLAM! With one swing all of the offensive troubles from the weekend had vanished. We had also scored all but one of the runs our pitching had given up in the last two games. I was ecstatic, and ticked, but at least we were winning. By the time we got to our seats, Chris Johnson and Jordan Schafer had added solo shots and Maholm had thrown 4 strong innings. We didn't see any of the home runs. In the 6th, as I expected, the Brewers staged a rally, Aoki and Segura got on (they were on all series) and Logan Schafer (no relation to Jordan) who had come on when Carlos Gomez left with a shoulder injury on a spectacular catch (we of course missed) singled up the middle for 2 runs. Then Jonathan Lucroy (easily my favorite Brewer) blasted a fastball to dead center about half-way between the scoreboard and the top of the wall to make it 6-4. I was convinced my arrival meant now only the Brewers could score and we would lose the game. However, Maholm settled and didn't give up anything else and departed with a 2 run lead after the 5th. Avila threw a strong 6th while the Braves scuffled against the Brewers pen yet again. In the 7th things got hairy. Cory Gearrin came in and couldn't throw strikes. After a couple walks and a really strong at bat from Logan Schafer again (ugh) the bases were loaded. Fredi went and got Jordan Walden and a confrontation was brewing. With two outs and the bases loaded Roenicke sent Juan Francisco up to face Walden and try to drive in the 2 runs they needed. Francisco blasted a Grand Slam in one of his last games with Atlanta, so I was not calm. However, Walden throws 98+ and Francisco popped one straight up which McCann caught and the threat was averted. "Thanks Huey" I yelled, something only a nearby Braves fan would've appreciated. The Brewers sent out Henderson to try and hold it at a 2 run game, but wouldn't you know it, the Braves CAN score while I'm watching. Uggla, of all people, slapped a 2-strike right-side rbi single through a shifted infield to plate our 7th run. Brewers fans streamed out of the ballpark as Kimbrel set down the Brewers in order to close out the 7-4 win. VICTORY!

So Chipper's got his first game and his first Braves win. Also managed to get our first diaper change at a ballpark and drink approx 30 ounces of milk (which is a lot). Can't wait to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment