Thursday, May 30, 2013

Participatory Government (UPDATE 6/5)

The following e-mail went out today to Senator Scott Fitzgerald, State Representative Mark Born, the Dodge County Supervisors and Horicon Alderperson Susan Hady. Parentheses have been added to explain things.

Senator Fitzgerald (Or Representative Born or Supervisors or Ma'am), 

*(Included only for the Alderperson) *You are receiving this message because 1) yours is the only e-mail address made public on the CoC's website and 2) there is no Aldermanic District Map for Horicon anywhere online so even if I could contact one of the others I wouldn't know who it concerned. Please disseminate at your discretion.* 

(Beginning of the other 3 e-mails)
My name is Lance Saxon. I am the Officer-in-Charge of the Lowell Post Office. I live on Lake St in downtown Horicon. I drive about 30 min (exactly 28) to work each morning and this drive includes crossing the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad tracks to get from one side of town to the other. There are 3 options which remain in Horicon city limits and all three cross the tracks, the north road (Lake St or Cty Rd B) the middle road (Hwy 33) or the southern road (Valley to Washington). If I choose to travel farther south out of town (Cty E to Cty S) I can avoid the tracks but add at least 20 min to my trip.

Why should I be avoiding the tracks? Because I, in the mornings and evenings delivering pizzas, have been stopped at those tracks anywhere from between 4 min to a whopping 25! (Really, it sucks) Not only do trains cross the road there but the switch is located a few feet from the intersection so any track switching results in a train being parked, not moving, on the road while the technicians switch the tracks (technicians is being generous, guys in shorts with beards is more exact). This wouldn't be a big deal if the traffic on this road was light, however it is a MAJOR TRUCKING VEIN (yes I capitalized in the Senator's e-mail). This is insane (yep, said it). Semis and commuters alike sitting and watching as train technicians fumble with switches losing valuable time and gasoline (in that order). Not only the wait time, but the congestion created can make a 5 min jaunt from the center of town to the intersection with 26 on the western edge take 30 solid min. (while my whole trip should take that long)

Solutions? I only can conceive of a few and they sound costly. A bridge of course would allow traffic to flow continuously without bothering the operations at WI&SOU (I shudder at the cost however). Another possible solution would be posted times that the different intersections would be blocked allowing drivers the option to divert their paths, something which I have searched for in vain (it doesn't exist, and it would take a miracle to even try to make one, trains are ridiculously unpredictable...seems like they should be on a schedule but whatever). If you and your people can come up with any others, I for one would support them wholeheartedly.

In any case, thank you for your time and I appreciate any effort you put into solving this frustrating issue. I have sent similar messages to Senator Fitzgerald, Representative Born and the County and City leadership to whom it may concern. (I edited the list at the end depending on the recipient)

Sincerely,

D Lance Saxon Jr. (The "D" makes me look important)

UPDATE as of 1:30 5/30/13:I received the following e-mail from the Dodge County Board Clerk... 

Mr. Saxon:  I have received your letter addressed to the County Supervisors and will read it at the County Board meeting on June 18th.  I will await further direction from County Board Chairman, Russell Kottke.  Thank you.

Karen J. Gibson

Dodge County Clerk

UPDATE: Received 6/3 from Representative Mark Born

Hi Lance,

I have spoken to the WI Department of Transportation about the train switching issue. Concerns over the railroad have been elevated due to the Lake Street bridge closure. Unfortunately, the DOT does not have authority over the railroad and the timetables are determined by when the trains can get in/out of Chicago.  

Wisconsin Southern recently met with the Horicon public works supervisor and the police chief. They will try to be more cooperative in the future and block the roadway less frequently, especially during peak times. We are continuing to explore possible solutions to this issue and I will keep you informed if there are any new developments.

Best,

John Cronin
Office of Rep. Mark Born
39th Assembly District


Recieved Yesterday 6/4, seen today 6/5 from Senator Fitzgerald's office.

Block, Cindy <Cindy.Block@legis.wisconsin.gov>
4:13 PM (17 hours ago)
to me
Lance, thanks for your email.  You may have already heard from Rep. Born on this issue – he has taken the lead in working with the DOT on the train switching issue and will keep you updated.  Sen. Fitzgerald has spoken with Rep Born and has also contacted the DOT on this issue and is aware that Wisconsin Southern recently met with the Horicon Public Works Supervisor and the Police Chief.  According to the Mayor and the Dodge County Highway Commissioner, everyone is working together to try and ease the situation.  Cindy Block/office of Sen. Fitzgerald

SeFrom: Sen.Fitzgerald
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 10:48 AM
To: Block, Cindy
Subject: FW: Question from Horicon


No comments:

Post a Comment