Thursday, June 16, 2016

Robots and American Government



Isaac Asimov is my favorite author of all time. One of the many reasons is his ability to make his fantastical technological fiction so logically consistent. He is considered to be the father of robotics and if you haven’t read his Robot short story compilations, go now and be inspired.  A foundational (pun intended) element to Asimov’s robots is the 3 Laws. Much has been written, primarily by Asimov himself, on their various facets, but I recently had a light bulb moment in regards to a more political application. The 3 Laws are as follows, from an excellent book (and OK-ish movie) I, Robot,

“The Three Laws of Robotics:
1: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm; 2: A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law; 3: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law”

A full understanding of the laws and their impact on a Robot is the subject of Asimov’s Robot series and I highly recommend.
               

          My use of them is in a different realm altogether. Read the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence,

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the 
pursuit of Happiness.”

I believe we can take from that sentence the 3 Laws of Robotics for a Free Society.

The First Law would be:
1: A Free Citizen may not infringe upon the life of another human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to lose their life.

The unalienable Right to Life announces that all life is equally valid. It announces that all ages, races, classes, and ethnicities have intrinsic value and that we all share the responsibility of defending each other and of defending the right to defend ourselves. It outlaws murder; it places a stern disapproval on capital punishment; and discourages all forms of war, particularly unjust total war. A society which practices abortion, euthanasia, genetic breeding, and human drug trials is breaking this law. It sits at the foundation of Freedom. No one who is scared for their life is truly free.

The Second Law would be:
2: A Free Citizen may act in accordance with their conscience in all matters, except in cases where such inclinations would conflict with the First Law.

                The unalienable Right to Liberty is the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of Freedom. The catch phrase “It’s a Free Country, isn’t it?” captures the defiant toddler like desire we all have to be the masters of our own destiny. While a more adult approach to life is expected, the ability to do whatever we please should be valued. I don’t have to ask the government before I travel to another part of the country. I don’t have to check with my governor before I buy cheese. I don’t have a supervisor which assigns me a living space. I am free. I pick my leaders and I pick my leisure. However, this is a qualified provision. I am not free to kill who I please. I am not free to kill myself. I am not free to withhold basic human needs from my peers which would result in sickness and death. I am not free to recklessly pursue enjoyment at the risk of others. On the one hand, one who takes a life is never truly free of the consequences. On the other hand, when others are prevented from killing me I’m free to enjoy my life without fear.

The Third Law would be:
3: A Free Citizen may pursue what they deem to be the sources of their happiness, insomuch as that pursuit does not conflict with the first two laws.

               The unalienable Right to pursue Happiness requires a definition. Happiness can be many things. It can simply be that which makes us smile. It can be what gives our lives meaning. It can be our children, our toys, our past times, or our passions. It is impossible to pursue Happiness without Liberty. The freedom to act however I deem necessary free of fear to achieve Happiness is essential. Alternatively, the restriction of another’s liberty or taking of another’s life cannot and will not result in true Happiness.

               So, there you go. Next time you evaluate a law or political stance you should consider the 3 Laws. A Law which stresses liberty over life (such as Abortion) or happiness over liberty (Universal Healthcare) should be rejected by Free Citizens. Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment