Wednesday, January 1, 2020

What Makes a Good Movie - a Cinematic Prolegomena

            For the next year, as a goal or personal project, if you will, I’ve decided to write reviews for 52 films. A film a week. I’ve written a few film reviews but nothing consistent so I think it’ll be a fun challenge and hopefully improve my writing on cinema and in general. I’ll try to maintain the variety I’m accustomed to in my current cinematic diet and that in turn should force me to wrestle with a diverse set of genres, eras, and voices. 

Before evaluating whether or not a particular film is “good” or “effective” or “compelling” or whatever other positive categorical description you prefer, I need to first make an attempt at defining the traits, attributes, pieces, and processes that compose the formula of the cinematic experience. You may consider this my cinematic prolegomena. 

Cast, Crew, Collaborators

One of the primary draws for me when considering whether or not to give a movie a try is the collection of individuals on the project. Generally, the number of names I recognize in the cast and crew correlates with my expectations. 

This does not mean I’m not excited to see up-and-coming actors or directing debuts, but my expectations will be tempered accordingly.

Setting, Sense of Place, Ambience, Environment, World

Stories can’t occur in a vacuum. Unless of course, they occur in space or inside the home appliance used to remove particulates from the carpet. Even in both of these remarkably different but suspiciously similar examples, the “where” for the story creates the means by which it is understood. A good film is in a recognizable place with consistency, clarity, and often a certain level of sophistication in its design. Details are better shown and not told, experienced not explained. With more familiarity, there’s more capacity for errors or inconsistencies to stick out. The more radical and bizarre the world, the more difficult it can be to understand.

A well-built world can cover a multitude of screenplay, character, and acting sins.

Writing, Screenplay, Dialogue

How the film communicates to the viewer is hands down the most important part of making a film. The best story in the world can’t overcome a clumsy telling. Effective writing is an elusive idea. I think it’s similar to effective painting. Individual brushstrokes and color choices can be analyzed and perfected but if the picture isn’t coherent, communicative, and meaningful all the technical skill in the world can’t save it. 

Characters, Acting

Great characters come in many different varieties. On the one hand, complete, deep, multi-dimensional characters resonate in the real world. On the other hand, caricatures are effective ways to form analogies, establish and deconstruct stereotypes, relate to literary archetypes, and feed the fantastical nature of many stories. Bad characters are flat in three-dimensional worlds; their motives and stimuli either incoherent or telegraphed.

Good acting is either such a magnificent transformation or emotional display it dominates the experience or its so subtle as to be ignored. I like both types of performers but admittedly will praise the former more than the latter. Bad acting is like rotten fruit, impossible to ignore and it ruins whatever it’s a part of. Elements like wild emotional swings, no emotion at all, and inconsistent characterizations will reduce my enjoyment.

Story, Plot

Something has to happen for me to enjoy a film. This, more than the other categories, can set me against films that have historically received critical backing. Not only does something need to happen but I have to care about that something, either in real life or as a result of the film providing a reason to believe, if you will. There are films which are beautifully made, well-acted and scripted, with plenty of thespian curb appeal that fail miserably to get me to care. The ultimate example of this is probably Speilberg’s War Horse. I just didn’t care enough to enjoy it. 

The story, or more accurately the plot, needs to have interior consistency. Plot holes are forgivable for a myriad of reasons ranging from perspective to time constraints but at the end of the day if the world doesn’t “make sense” I’m going to complain about it.

Technical Features, Soundtrack, Lighting, Sound, Editing, Mixing, Etc

I have no training or special knowledge about the technical aspects of film. I can appreciate a beautifully framed shot or a perfectly timed swell in the score but I’ll completely miss most of the nuanced bits and pieces of making a movie. Maybe someday I’ll pursue some technical training but for now, I’ll remain a blissfully-ignorant layman. That being said, obvious editing is distracting and annoying and I don’t like it.

Meaning, Moral, Philosophy, Zeitgeist, Theme

The center of all communication is the message. Film presents a unique way to transmit a message. When I consider a film’s theme, the criteria is two-fold. Did I understand the message? And, did I appreciate, resonate with, like the message? My favorite movie, Signs, earned its top spot for excellence in many categories but specifically unparalleled personal connection to me in its meaning. A good message communicated poorly is less enjoyable than a bad message picked up loud and clear.


So, in summary, a good film has a strong cast and crew, a clear sense of place, memorable dialogue, relatable characters, an interesting and coherent plot, technical skill, and a defined theme. I am looking forward to tackling this challenge and hope it will be interesting for any who decide to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment