Monday, January 6, 2014

Purpose, Propulsion, Power - A marital analogy

I was listening to a friend of mine preach through the first paragraph or two of Jude and what he was saying, though not particularly profound, clicked. When an idea clicks for me, it usually means I've found an analogy with which to describe it. Here is my analogy.

In the Christian Life we have a purpose. That is, we are created for a particular thing to be accomplished. While ultimately all creation has one goal, the glory of it's Creator, each little piece of the puzzle has a personal mission to pursue. A correct understanding of the New Testament instructs us that our purpose is Christ; Christ-likeness, Christ-"centerdness," Christ-preeminence. We also see that we have a propulsion. A better, but less alliterated, word would be motivation. Again, with a proper understanding of Scripture, we see Christ, His life, words, and will, is our motivation. We are driven to do what we just said was our purpose because of Christ. And finally, we have a power. We are incapable of achieving the aforementioned purpose without assistance. Not surprisingly, our power is the same as our purpose and propulsion, it is Christ.

Let me split a hair before launching into the metaphor. While all Christians have the same purpose, and can find New Testament unity in that, each of us has a different particular facet or aspect of that purpose to fulfill. So Christ is our purpose, but for each of us that will look slightly different. Example, I am Christ to my choir when I serve them, lead by example, am punctual, kind, enabling, etc. My brother is Christ to the choir when he sings. We're both being Christ (Christ-like) but it manifests differently.

Consider it split.

Now, the metaphor.

I go to work everyday. I was "created" for this job. It is my reason to get up in the morning, to get dressed, to take a shower. It is my reason to drive through snow, walk through -13 degree weather, talk to silly people, etc... If it was my only reason, I'd be on suicide watch. It would truly be depressing. The "soul-crushing" nature of hourly work cannot be understated. However, I do not work for myself. The purpose of my working is the provision for my family. I put in 60 hr weeks so that they have heat, clothing, food. I deliver pizzas in freezing rain because I want them to not only have needs, but also as many wants as I can give them. If the work itself were my only purpose, I'd lose my mind. But I can find purpose in my family.

This bleeds directly into my propulsion.

They are the motivation for not only working, but working hard. I must be on time for work, because I must be able to pay for diapers. I must not make my boss angry, or get a speeding ticket because my wife needs to eat. Not only do I work because of them, I work for them. Seemingly similar statements, but there is a difference. Only working because of them leads to bitterness, resentment and the suicide watch I mentioned earlier. Working for them gives me a joy, a sense of accomplishment when they have a large meal, can watch movies on Netflix, and can enjoy the many other little delicacies a ridiculously poor family enjoys. If I make money my propulsion I will be trapped in an endless cycle of getting some only to want more. Satisfaction does not rests in things, because there are always more. In people, in relationships, we find true satisfaction.

Finally, they and particularly my wife, are the power which gets me through the day. Whether it be practical things like packing me a lunch (which during this week of bachelor-ing it my mom has stepped in unsolicited, bless her), or emotional support like phone calls during my lunch break. My wife and I have had a continuous Words with Friends battle going for weeks, and frustratingly she's been beating me. But that's awesome! It is charge for my batteries. It is strength for my arms. I am planning on working and attending Grad School next year. I've already told her, "I'm gonna need more power, Scottie." And some days, I'm sure she feels like she's "giving her all she's got" but I can attest that she's been and will always be all I'll ever need.

So - Christ is our purpose, propulsion and power, just like my wife.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment