Thursday, April 4, 2013

Say What?

Now before I beat this dead horse, I want to beat around the bush till the cows come home. Maybe you won't buy what I'm selling, but I think I hit a grand salami with this song and dance. Like a steel train rolling down a steep grade, my brain processes this potato casserole of words without so much as a blink. You're no different. In fact, some of you are like Joe Montana, staring down defeat with an icy cold confidence, a strangle hold on your universe, squeezing sense out of each phrase like lemon juice from a fresh lemon. Some of you are more like a puppy, tongue waving, eating up each sensory point with just enough attention to taste before bouncing to the next. Coherence and meaning are equatable, though not entirely equal. Starting at the end and ending at the beginning is definitely impossible, that is by definition it is not possible, yet I do it every time I read a book. If you're tapped out you should probably draw better. That phrase has at least three meanings that immediately spring to mind, like a coiled viper launching toward a helpless field rat. Understanding something, anything, is akin to trying to hit a major league pitcher. Only the best square balls up and hit home runs, most of us just barely get a piece, fight off tough pitches, and occasionally get bloop hits or seeing-eye singles. Or maybe launching half-court shots - even fewer would hit nothing but net, a few would rattle them in and some would miss everything every time. How do we do it then? Some people speak six, seven even ten languages. Agreement. You understood 90%, give or take, of what I have written here. You and I both know what I mean, so you can take that knowledge and apply it to what I say. Go read a paper on Newtonian Physics by a grad student at MIT, you won't understand any of it, or very little, or possible a lot if you have a Physics degree. The lynch pin, the catalyst, the ultimate bulls eye in all this is that understanding and meaning control veritability. If you understood that last sentence you proved my point. If you didn't, let me express it again. The matter of the fact is this, the truth of a statement is not inherent within the words themselves but in the people exchanging those words. If you think your disagreement falsifies my claim, you're missing the point. You understood the claim, that proves my point.

The Braves won again, roughed up Roy Halladay, I likey! JUpton, Heyward and Even Gattis "el oso blanco" all went yicketty and a good start from Maholm. 2-0 baby.

Next week, I'll address some concerns I'm getting in feedback. As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment